I saw some cupcake boxes in a magazine a couple of years back and have wanted to do some since. I got these paper mache cupcake boxes recently and eventually got round to doing a few.
This is my favorite. I applied texture paste generously on the top to make the ‘icing’. I used a a small flat tool (actually the flat side of a scoring tool) to apply the paste and randomly added some dimension to it. And then the difficult part. Letting it dry. I allowed it to dry overnight as it was a thick layer. Once it wad dry I added some ribbon roses to icing and added a large cream mulberry paper rose on top. I covered the base of the box with patterned paper using mod podge to glue and seal it. Finaaly I added some lace to the top edge of the base.
For this box I painted it using victorian velvet distress paint. Any acrylic paint can be used. For the top I took some strips of silk (from a very old shirt of mine). I twisted the strip as I went along the surface applying hot glue every now and then. I then added some pearly ‘sprinkles’ again using hot glue (very tiny dabs as the beads are quite small). At the very top I added a huge flat back pearl. For the base I added a ruffle of some net and then added some vintage taffeta ribbon bows around the top edge.
For this last one I took some crochet trim about 1.5 inches wide and adhered it to the top, twisting it as I went along. I did not pull the lace too tight and let it overhang a bit so it mimicks cupcake icing. Then I just added some sprinkles using pretty brownish pearl beads. I painted the base in chocolate brown, added 2 rows of velvet ribbon roses to the top and then added a pearly string.
Some products used for this project